Journeys begin with...

Journeys begin with...
... small steps.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Into the Gym - Wed. 4th October

This is the gym I go to. The gentleman with the weights is NOT me - he's much leaner and younger!


Nearly three years since I was first diagnosed with CFS. I am just the wrong side of forty, and I am sure that 'middle aged spread' would have occurred anyway. However, this tendency has been accelerated, I think, by my fatigue. Acting on Doctor's orders, I have attempted to discipline myself and exercise. Trust me, the last thing I want to do are press-ups, weights and walking - but I have managed to do some light work. Nevertheless, I am now several stone overweight, and this cannot be doing me any good.

Accordingly, I requested a gym referral from my Doc, and this has just started (last Friday). This entitles me to free access to a local gym for three months, under the direction of a qualified gym instructor. I have been three times so far, and I am convinced that it will do me a lot of good. Monday's session was the most testing, as I had one of my three-day long headaches. I did waver a bit, contemplating giving it a miss. However, given how rarely I feel physically comfortable I decided to grin and bear it. I gritted my teeth and completed the session, which much pleased me. Sure, later on I was lying prostrate on my bed for a couple of hours with a pounding head - but I probably would have been stricken anyway, regardless. I consider this new regime as a way of my taking up the reins of my own destiny.

Today, was better. Energy levels were very good, and I was comfortably able to do my work. It helps that I - through boxing, football and martial arts - am familiar with gyms and exercise regimes. I couldn't help reminiscing about the days when I would routinely do x500 sit-ups a day, no bother. How sad I would sound were I to voice that fact. What a sad middle-aged git! Still, this is where I am now, and I am pretty pleased with myself today.

On a more negative note, I had to ask Lynn (my partner) the names of a friend's wife and child today. Memory loss is one of the banes of my life with CFS. Pre-illness, I was noted for having excellent recall, and I miss it. I also find it very disempowering and humiliating to have to ask for such information. Many times I actually hide my befuddlement, and do not ask. Perhaps, with a fitter body will come a fitter mind. We shall see...

~ Colin

3 comments:

Ellie said...

Hey Colin,
I know about the reminiscences of the good old days when exercise was easy. I was never at the stage of doing 500 situps without a sweat, but an hour's dance class wasn't much of a challenge, and a 10km cycles was a bit of fun.
I also share your feelings of humiliation at needing to be reminded of things I would otherwise remember. I find this particularly distressing at work, where my intelligence is what earns my salary.
Anyway, I hope the gym works for you, I have always subscribed to the healthy body = healthy mind philosophy. I'm interested in continuing to hear your story.
Best wishes,
Ellie www.living-with-it.blogspot.com

Gerry Bunt said...

Thank you for commenting Ellie. I will come and check your blog out in the near future - if I remember :)

Kat said...

Hi Colin

I too can understand like Ellie what it was like to go to the gym 6 days a week and run half marathons. I grew up as a really active child and I do find it so hard to accept some days a half hour walk is all I can manage on good days. I hope the gym is working, I started Pilates about 3 months ago and that has been great at strengthening. I do have to pace myself though otherwise I pay for it the next day. www.mycfsjourney.blogspot.com